House Viewing Checklist
We've created an online, easy-to-use tools to help make it easier for you to record important information when viewing properties.
Location of Property
- Is the outside of the property in good condition?
- Do you know who maintains the garden?
- Is there safe access to the property?
- At night is there good street lighting around the property? Do you know where are the nearest shops around you?
- Is the property in a good location for Uni?
Inside the Property
- Are the kitchen facilities adequate for all of you? Are the washing and toilet facilities adequate? Is there a shower installed?
- Is your room sufficient for your needs?
- Are you happy with the furniture supplied?
- Are there enough electrical sockets?
- Is there sufficient lighting, heating, and ventilation?
- Are the communal areas sufficient for your needs?
- Is there a lounge or somewhere for everyone to eat/sit?
- Is there a telephone connection?
- Are you happy with the overall repairs/decoration?
- If repairs are required, will the landlord guarantee that they are fixed before you move in?
- Other than ‘lived in dirty’ is the house generally clean? Is there a working vacuum cleaner?
- Will it be easy and economical to heat the house?
- Are the windows double-glazed?
- Does the house suffer from damp?
- Ask the current tenants about the energy bills?
- Can the Landlord show you a gas safe certificate for appliances in the property?
- Is there a Boiler/cooker/fire etc.?
- Does the landlord have a fire safety inspection record? Are the furnishings fre safe?
- Are the doors fire doors?
- Are there fire extinguishers on each floor?
- Is there fire alarms or appropriate smoke alarms?
- Is there a fre blanket in the kitchen?
- Is the property secure?
- Solid external doors?
- Individual room locks?
- Window locks on ground floor?
Management of the Property
- Are you happy with the arrangement for repairs?
- Easy contact if there’s an emergency?
- Are you clear about the rent? What does it include? When it's Due?
- Is your deposit is held by the Deposit Protection Service (DPS)?
- Have you been given a contract to check? (You’ll have at least 48 hours to check it over)
- If the property has more than 3 bedrooms it is a house in multiple occupations (HMO) – Has it been registered?